There are certain things that, no matter what’s going on, will always make me smile. And actually, they’re all pretty simple really.
1. A change of scenery. It makes a world of difference to me, and it can be as easy as heading to Locke Park for a walk. For an extra special treat though, I love packing up and booking into a hotel for the weekend. Away from the housework, actual work and getting some time to clear my head. Especially if there’s a chance to enjoy the countryside and make the most of the fresh air. Delightful.
2. Eating with my husband. Sounds almost too simple, I know. But whether it’s grabbing something on the go, cooking (him usually, to be fair!) at home or sitting down in a great restaurant – it’s one of my favourite things to do. We both love food so much, as you may have guessed, and to enjoy a good meal together makes me really happy. Even more so if we can share it with friends and family.
3. A girly gossip with friends. Yep, I know it’s probably completely unsurprising, but even a short, sharp catch up really tops up my happy bank! I’ve had a couple of such instances this week, and I’m very lucky that I can even get a quick fix at work, thanks to brilliant colleagues who are brilliant friends too!
4. Surprise family time! Making a quick stop in to see the parents and being lucky enough to get hugs from brother, one of my sisters and a nephew all in one hit. Great stuff!
5. Turning on the car stereo without knowing what’s in the CD player and a favourite album, and indeed tune, plays immediately. Makes for a great start to the day. And for the absolute certainty that I looked a complete idiot screaming my head off to ‘I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor’ driving through my home town. Bottom line – great song, really don’t care!
What are the simple things that will always draw a smile with you?